Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Interesting Travel Day

Top of the morning all...

I am presently sitting in the MAC (Military Airlift Command) terminal at Naval Air Station Jacksonville (Florida). Shortly, I will board a plane to go to Naval Station Guantanamo Bay for two weeks. I hear the beaches are lovely.

Yesterday was just an annoying day. The flight from Newark to Jacksonville was long. I was not feeling so well afterwards. When I got off the plane in Jacksonville, I went to the USO. I figured that they would know how to get to the base. One taxi company is allowed on base.

I appreciate USO's. The USO was founded in 1941 as a joint effort of several religious organizations, including the Jewish Welfare Board. You are all likely familiar with stories of Bob Hope and the like going around war zones and entertaining the troops. That was a product of the USO. As well, the USO has many rest areas at the airports around the United States. They are always comfortable, with some food available, and free internet. They are safe too. If my kids ever travel without Jennifer and me, they will have their military id cards with them, and will be instructed to wait at the USO's between flights.

It is now 9:27 AM. The flight has not been called yet. It remains a source of irony for me that I probably could have gotten to Cuba more easily flying direct from Toronto; however, I am travelling for the US Government. That would not be possible. I am not sure as to which airport I would have used. Cuba is a fairly large island. To give you an idea, it is 227 miles in the air from Havana to Miami. It is over 500 miles from Havana to Guantanamo.

Please remember to keep your seatbelts buckled through the remainder of the blog.

R/SCG

No comments:

Post a Comment