Thursday, August 29, 2013

For the Caregivers...

Afternoon all...

I am not a fully-trained hospital chaplain (but I play one on TV).  Still, over the years, I have picked up a little bit of wisdom.  Something happened today that leaves me thinking I should pass that wisdom on.

I received a phone call today from someone whose spouse had a significant stroke two years ago.  Why did this person call me?  Over the last two years, of all the people this person knows, I was the only one who consistently made it a point to ask this person how things were with him/her.  This was beyond the concern for the sick.  We spend so much time appropriately worrying about the health of a sick person that we often lose sight of those who are directly involved in their care.  Ask the caregivers too.  They might be stressed.  It can be very difficult to be involved in such direct care all the time.  It can be gut-wrenching to watch someone struggle to regain abilities, or to watch someone progressively lose abilities.  The sick person is only one part of the story.  The caregiver is also vital.  Check in from time to time.

Also, if you are a caregiver, take a day off once a week.  Take a vacation.  It is not selfishness.  To take the time for self-care will make you a better caregiver and likely a less resentful caregiver.

Have a good evening.

R/SCG

No comments:

Post a Comment