Wednesday, July 31, 2013

If You Stop and Think...

Top of the evening folks...

I was just at a shiva house (house of mourning).  Someone almost said the wrong thing.  Luckily, she said it properly.

What is the wrong thing?  "May you know no more sorrow."  It sounds lovely.  May your life be a sustained time of pure bliss.  It is unlikely though.  And, if you stop and think about it, you might not say that ever again.  Why?  See the next paragraph.

It is hardly a nice thing to say to someone.  One of the facts of life is that we will know sorrow.  The only other alternative is that someone will know sorrow for us.  I am 43 years old.  I very much hope that I will know sorrow.  I am frankly not ready to check out.

The person ultimately said the right thing: "may you know no sorrow for a long time."

Have a good evening.

R/SCG

No comments:

Post a Comment