Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Girl School

Hi all...

I learned early in Keren's life that girls are different from boys.  With two older brothers, you might have thought that she would have liked blue sweatpants.  Nothing doing.  Keren liked pink and purple dresses.  She had one dress that had we let her, she would have never taken off.  She wanted to sleep in her purple dress.

I remember committing an egregious sin.  Keren slept over at a friend's home.  There was a birthday party they were both to attend the next day.  It was to be a rather shmutzy birthday party.  I gambled.  I sent her with 'get shmutzy' clothing, and no dress.  She did not even say hello to me when she got home.  She admonished me for my choice in her clothing.  The friend's mother had to do laundry, as the dress she was wearing when she left was too messy to wear the next day.

Anyway, little girls become little women.  At least now, she wears pants from time to time, and colours can be something other than pink or purple.

There are things I do not understand.

I do not understand how it is I can braid a bread, but cannot braid her hair.  She can do it without being able to see.

I do not understand the appeal of nail polish.  The boys do not wear it.  She loves it.  To get a manicure with her mother or with her grandmother is simply the cat's meow.

I do not understand the love of jewelry.  I wear a watch.  My wedding band is on my watchband.  The boys do not wear any jewelry.  Keren has necklaces, earrings, and bracelets.  She once said: "You know Eema, jewelry is very important in a girl's life."

There is only one unifying theory that explains this - Girl School!  It is a secret school that girls attend.  There, they learn these things.

Every time she does something that boys in general decidedly do not do, I say 'Girl School.'  Keren then insists that there is no such thing as Girl School.  I do not believe her.  I think that all of the students swear an oath to keep it absolutely secret.

I do not know where Girl School is.  I will find it though.

Good night.

R/SCG

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha too funny! I must have flunked out of girl school because I hate nail polish, dresses and girly girl stuff. I would rather be paddling a kayak or stand up paddle board than doing girl stuff. I do wear my wedding rings, earrings, a bracelet and a watch. I think my niece would get along really well with Keren because she's turning into a real girly girl. She loves make up and nail polish and she's only 6 years old. Oh and we shouldn't forget her shoe shopping trips with Safta. That kid has more shoes than most adults I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit it! When your mother is pregnant you go through the girl school courses, but it is not a well known thing! No male is supposed to know!!!!!!! So don't tell any male figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen Kruger-BloomJune 19, 2013 at 8:40 PM

    I know where Girl School is and you will never find it. That's because it is located right beside the famous Mom School that I keep telling my children I attended.

    ReplyDelete