Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Updated Cliche...

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen...

I write this blog entry from sunny, warm Naval Air Station Pensacola. It was amazing to watch the Blue Angels practice yesterday.

For reasons that continue to elude me, I read the comments after many articles on the news. Between the horrible attitudes and the horrible grammar, that I keep going back to those comments suggests that I would also wiggle a loose tooth, even though it hurts.

Why do I mention this? I mention this because one of the articles I read this evening is about an interview with one of the Duggar family (look it up...I am not going to bother to explain). Jill Duggar recommends that for marital health, wives (I do not like that term) should prepare for and hopefully have sex with their husbands (don't like that term either) three to four times a week.

It is good advice. Gentlemen, while not in her article, the advice is similar for us.

Husband...wife...I do not like these terms. They are not exactly human. They are animal terms. I like spouse. As well, when realistic, it is worth it to make the effort to avoid gender-specific language. When I speak publicly, which I do from time to time, such language can shut out half of the congregation. Now, when our world is suddenly, strangely, no longer binary, it can exclude even more people.

It is rather odd to say this, given that the PC culture that has yielded such shifts in language is generally abhorrent to me.

Anyway, what is my point? One of the comments in this article is an old but true cliche: happy wife, happy life. It is true. However, I have seen the effects in a home where the husband is not such a happy camper. Trust me. That unhappiness does not end with him. It will have an impact on everyone.

And so, off the top of my head one morning after minyan a few months back, I corrected someone. Our new cliche is more accurate and less gender-focused. It is nice to know that the men of the house can now receive some priority.

Happy spouse, happy house.

Have a good evening everyone.

R/SCG

1 comment:

  1. I like that saying Happy spouse, happy house. That makes sense. Oh and by the way, don't put much thought into anything Dugger. They are an odd bunch, especially Jill and her husband who are no longer on the show because of some of their views.

    ReplyDelete