Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Disconcerting, to Say the Least....

Top of the evening everyone.

I want to thank DK and SC for their comments on my last two blog entries.

After all is said and done, it is not a problem to be called a right-wing zealot. What is disconcerting? Disconcerting is that I held off on writing those last two entries for a considerable amount of time. Why? I held off because due to the pounding that too many people suffer these days for considering things that are on the public radar in light of things that are not on the public radar.

In short, I was afraid (yes, you read it here) of the possible public excoriation I might have to endure for daring to question absolute reproductive freedom (for women). And yes, I was also afraid of that excoriation for daring to think that tobacco might be more of a health hazard than firearms. Cowards die many times before their deaths.

And it is a shame. The standard we should all be taught is that we can disagree, but we still recognize each other as human, worthy of compassion and respect. The standard these days..."you are wrong. You have always been wrong. It is a shame your parents ever met. I am putting your personal information on line."

Both sets of comments on my last two entries have been informative. With respect to both writers, there is still a piece missing in the answers. I ask the following questions:

1. Do men have reproductive freedom? What are the limitations?
2. Is tobacco more of a societal problem than firearms?

My gut feeling on #2 is that tobacco very much is more of a societal problem. I am still feeling out my thoughts on #1. Part of the reason I am still feeling those thoughts out is due to the remarkably different burden of pregnancy and childbirth on the mother. My sore thumbs after Jesse was born do not measure up to that burden. Still, regarding #1, deciding what male reproductive freedom is and deciding what the limits are also force a discussion on men's roles in the reproductive process. It is a necessary discussion.

And to those who disagree with points raised either here or in any other entry, please state your disagreement. This is friendly space.

Have a good evening everyone. I promise not to wait so long on something potentially controversial.

R/SCG

2 comments:

  1. The standard these days..."you are wrong. You have always been wrong. It is a shame your parents ever met. I am putting your personal information on line." - I think it's THIS sort of thinking that makes someone a zealot, and I don't like it one bit, even if their views on an issue agree with mine.

    And it is a shame. The standard we should all be taught is that we can disagree, but we still recognize each other as human, worthy of compassion and respect. - Thank you for that. I am very saddened by the lack of compassion these days. I'd much rather talk to people who might disagree on some things, but still recognize others as human.

    Would it be possible to email you? The contact page on the Pride of Israel site is not working, and I had a question I was hoping you could help me with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KL...I am happy to chat with you. Here is the synagogue contact page: http://www.prideofisraelshul.org/contact/. I am midway down on the right. If this does not work, please let me know.

    Take care.

    R/SCG

    ReplyDelete