Sunday, January 4, 2015

A Note...

Top of the evening everyone...

My congregation receives an e-mail from me every Friday morning.  Its primary purpose is to convey information about the goings-on over the next several weeks.  I have started adding a link to a youtube video from the world of Jewish music.  This is not as easy as you might think.

Usually, I look to the Jewish calendar or to the weekly Torah portion.  If there is music I know based on one of those two things, I will grab that.  The yahrtzeit for Debbie Friedman comes in the beginning of the month of Shevat, usually around the end of January or beginning of February.  At that week, the musical choice is always one of her compositions.  At Veterans/Remembrance Day, I always pick a version of "Brother Can You Spare a Dime?"  It is based on a Yiddish lullaby.  One of the people asking for a dime is a soldier.

If someone is going to be in concert in Israel, I will often put up a link to that person's music, in the hopes that someone will buy me a ticket.

Here is the interesting thing.  I may have a bit of a closed mind in certain ways.  If you were to go back and listen to all of the pieces that I have put up there, I have assiduously avoided two things.  I have avoided music with Ashkenazi pronunciation.  Part of the message that I wish to convey in what I think the Jewish world should hear is that the correct pronunciation of Hebrew should be used at all times.

I also avoid music from people who will not sing in a mixed group.  There is a difference between liturgical music and other music.  While I can respect the position of not hearing a woman's voice in a liturgical setting, I will give it no countenance in any other setting.  It is not the mindset I wish to create.  It is not the mindset I wish to promote.

This part of my weekly e-mail has on occasion taken a substantial amount of time to get right.

Have a good evening everyone.

R/SCG

No comments:

Post a Comment