Sunday, November 10, 2013

November 10th....

Top of the evening all....

Today is November 10th.  It is the anniversary of two dates in history.

In 1775, the Continental Congress voted to stand up a battalion of Marines*.  Every recruit is aware of this date, and of Tun Tavern in Philadelphia before even receiving the uniform.  Since then, the Marines have distinguished themselves in every conflict the United States has ever had to enter.

The Marines understand lineage.  They are big on their history.  I have served with them, and I, a lowly Sailor, know November 10th, 1775 as easily as I know my birthday.  I do not know the birthday of the United States Navy.

To the Marine Corps: Semper Fidelis.  To all, here is the USMC band playing the Marine Corps Hymn.

The other anniversary dates back to 1975.  On November 10th of that year a freak storm on Superior sank the Edmund Fitzgerald.  I do not know why that sticks in my head.  Perhaps it is because I live in the Great Lakes region.

Every year on this date, I make it a point to listen to Toronto's own Gordon Lightfoot sing "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."  Here is the link for you:

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzggerald

Good night all.

R/SCG

*GS - The Secretary of Defense decided some years back that 'Marine' and 'Sailor' were to be capitalized.

No comments:

Post a Comment