Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Please Tell Me You Did Not Say That...

Top of the afternoon to all...

So there I was, reading the news on an unpopular news network. There was an article in the entertainment section recounting an interview with Alyssa Milano. For reasons that I cannot fathom, this is not the first time she has been mentioned in this blog. Please note at this time that this is not an honourable mention.

Here is the link: https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/alyssa-milano-says-she-had-2-abortions-while-in-serious-relationship-in-1993

She comments that she had had two (two!) abortions early on in her career.

She says at least three things in this article. "I would not have my career." We do not know that. She is quite talented. She might not have her career. She might have a different career. Or she might have said that kids are more important. We cannot know. When two roads diverge in a yellow wood, the best that we can do is keep one for another day. We cannot walk both simultaneously. Her flimsy reasoning though rules out the possibility that her life and yes, her career, might have turned out just as amazing had she not had the abortion. And it rules out the fact that we have no means of comparison, because our lives can only turn out in one way at any given moment.

"I would not have my children - my beautiful, perfect, loving, kind, and inquisitive children who have a mother who was so very, very ready for them." Perhaps, but instead Ms. Milano, you would have two different, beautiful, perfect, loving, kind, and inquisitive children. Or maybe you would have all four. And parent to parent, you would love them all. Again, there is no way of knowing what might have happened. We are human. We are not prophets or gods.

"I had done what I knew to do to prevent pregnancy." Clearly, not. But let us have an aside. Eating dairy often (but not always) causes digestive issues. The only foolproof way of avoiding those digestive issues is not to eat dairy. So I rarely eat dairy, and on those rare occasions that I do, even with a lactose pill, I am gambling. I know the risks, and I take my chances.

That might not have been so obvious to Ms. Milano. Folks, the act that brings about having children does not exist in and of itself. There are always results. That act can lead to children. If one does not know his or her partner, that act can bring about significant, long-term medical issues. It can bring about a closeness with the other person. If one does not want any of these results, there is only one foolproof way to avoid them - cease and desist.

My friends, that goes for everything. If you do not want the potential results of eating seven bags of potato chips while watching bad movies, then do not eat seven bags of potato chips while watching bad movies. If you do not want the potential results of consuming too much alcohol, do not consume too much alcohol. And if you know that you are not ready for children, it might be worth it to stick to the potato chips and the bad movies. This really is not rocket science.

Ms. Milano, whatever discussions we might wish to have about abortion, we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Sacrificing a potential life on the altar of a career is reprehensible.

So please tell me you did not say that.

R/SCG

No comments:

Post a Comment