Monday, July 15, 2019

How About a Little Perspective Here Folks...

Top of the afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen (and non-binaries)...

A few times over the last several weeks, we have received amber alerts on our phones in the middle of the night. On the off chance that you do not know, amber alerts are a new system to track down children who have gone missing. They are named after a young lady named Amber Hagerman. She was kidnapped and murdered in Texas in 1996.

Every time I hear of one, I listen. I check the details on line. The reason is simple. If God forbid something happened to one of my kids, I would want the entire world to know and to be on the lookout. It is the least I can do to return that favour.

Some folks are complaining about these alerts going off on their cell phones at all sorts of odd hours. With (little) respect, I am unimpressed. First of all, as mentioned, I want them to know about it in China, forget about around the province. Second, best chances of finding a kidnapped child are in the first 24 hours. Third, The search radius increases by the speed limit. That means that an hour after a child is reported missing, that child could be 60 kilometres or more away. That is a large circle to search, over 2700 square kilometres.

So for those who are complaining about phones ringing in the middle of the night, get over it. Alternatively, try something radical. There is no law anywhere that says that your phone must be turned on 24/7. I turn mine off at night. It is not a bad idea for all of you.

On an aside, besides amber alerts, there are also silver alerts. People suffering from dementia will often wander off, with no destination in mind and not necessarily on a straight path. I would have no issue being aroused from slumber for that either.

Good day folks...

R/SCG

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you 100%. If a person doesn't want to be woken up in the middle of the night from their phone ringing then turn off the phone. If any snowflake has an issue with an Amber Alert they make me sick. My phone sent me the Amber Alert while in Kingston and I read it just in case I saw the kids at the OnRoute. You just never know.

    ReplyDelete