Monday, April 11, 2016

Response to Reader on Most Recent Posting...

Top of the day to all...

One of my loyal readers replied to my previous post that she thought cleanliness had something to do with kashrut.  Alas, it is not true.

Strictly speaking, the word only has to do with whether or not food is ritually fit.  While kosher food producers should adhere to higher standards in areas outside of food preparation, honest books, and proper working conditions, just for example, violating any of those presents no ritual issue in and of itself.

I would like to point to an amusing article on kosher oysters.  The oysters are clean, even pure, but they are not kosher.

I agree with the reader though on the basic issue.  The quality of chickens has dropped precipitously since Chai Poultry closed.  I understand that there will be kosher chickens again in Ontario in the not-too-distant future, but we are not there yet.

In the meantime, we are stuck with what we are getting, which is clearly a fowl foul.

Have a good day everyone.

R/SCG

1 comment:

  1. Very cute post. I am now better informed about kashrut. Thank you for that. I was just reading about the new chicken producer coming on board soon. A little competition in the industry might just be what's needed. Let's hope they clean their fowl better than Marvid does. I'm more than happy to switch.

    ReplyDelete