Monday, August 16, 2021

Azure...

Good evening everyone.

This blog entry is from late June.

Azure...it is sadly not a word we get to use often.  Azure is a shade of blue, normally associated with the sea.  Thus, one who is traveling in the area of the French Riviera is somewhere along la Côte d'Azur, the Azure Coast.

I am somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean right now, underway on a US aircraft carrier.  As with all US carriers, it is nuclear-powered.  Shortly, I will transfer to a guided missile destroyer, which will be my home for the next month or so.

Whatever else is happening, I go outside every day.  On my first day on board, the deep blue of the ocean very much caught my eye.  You may remember the closing few minutes of "The Shawshank Redemption."  Morgan Freeman's character Red has decided to break parole.  He is on a bus to find Andy, the main character of the story.

While on the bus, his character is sitting quietly, staring out the window.  The voiceover is Morgan Freeman.  One of the lines is "I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams."

We had a liberty port in Hawaii.  Jennifer came out to visit.  The last time we were there was 20 years ago.  This time, we did not need babysitters.  We took this picture on the eastern side of Oahu.





To Morgan Freeman's hope about the Pacific, it is.

Have a good evening everyone.

R/SCG

No comments:

Post a Comment